Many Tanneries were in Frederick in 1887 - Birely Tannery only one left..

The 1887 Sanborn Map's Index lists 4 Tanneries in Downtown Frederick.

Bantz Tannery - GONE - stood on Brewers Alley, Carroll Creek was moved and now flows where the Tannery Building once stood.

Geo. K. Birely Tannery - one building remains.

Brown and McKinney Tannery - GONE - stood on corner of Carroll Creek and S. Market.  

NIxdorff and Brokeys Tannery - GONE - stood about where the Frederick County Library is.

Check out the building today.  Review Sanborn Fire Maps.  You will see that this photo taken after the 1909 fire is the building exterior.  The building was restored.

Birely Tannery presents A Significant Industrial History

The Maryland Historical Trust has determined the George K. Birely and Sons Tannery building eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. This adds a much higher threshold for the City's Historic Preservation Commission in determining whether to allow demolition as presented in renderings for the development of the site for a downtown hotel and conference center.

The building has strong protections already as it sits within the Frederick Town Historic District. The threshold to demolish contributing buildings is high, particularly buildings of unusual significance, like the Birely Tannery. In its report, the Maryland Historical Trust states, in part: "The Birely Tannery site . . . constitutes the sole tannery site in Maryland that has been professionally investigated at the Phase II and III level and found to yield substantive and comprehensive information regarding this important industry throughout the 19th - mid 20th c. This site warrants careful consideration and treatment in planning for this potential project."

As Preservation Maryland identified the Birely Tannery on its 2014 Endangered Maryland list (see, at this point, two statewide preservation organizations (Maryland Historical Trust and Preservation Maryland) have deemed the Tannery Building worthy of preservation.‚Äč