1705 N. Market St, Frederick, MD 21701
MIHP Inventory # for the Coca-Cola Bottling Plant is F-3-255.
After a process begun after a potential buyer submitted plans demolishing a portion of the main building and the entire warehouse building, the City's Demolition Delay Ordinance was stimulated. Both the Historic Preservation Commission and the Planning Commission recommended the Mayor and Board designate and protect the entire property as a historic zone. The effort failed with three commissioners voting against designation and two for designation. WE WATCH AND HOPE FUTURE DEVELOPMENT PROTECT THIS IMPORTANT RESOURCE.
Coca-Cola has a rich industrial heritage in Frederick City beginning in 1911.
· Prior to 1911: A.C. McCardell distributed syrup and bottled Coca-Cola located at 118 North Market St
.· 1911 - 1913: W.H. Shipley was given a 2 year contract to bottle and sell Coca-Cola. The bottling operation was located at
521-523 North Market St. First syrup shipped in 1911 was in 50 gallon containers.
· 1913 - 1921: Operations were relocated to 100 East Patrick Street
· 1921 - 1924: Operations moved to 221 East Street. 1921, Luther Lea (from Frederick, MD) and James E. Crass (from
Richmond, VA) were partners in the operations.
· 1924 - 1926: New bottling plant was built at 416 East Patrick St. During this time, James E. Crass bought out Luther Lea's
share of the company. Luther Lea continued to manage the plant until 1929.
· 1945: new bottling plant started construction at 1705 North Market St.
· 1947 - 1969: Bottling continued without interruption at 1705 North Market St.
· 1961: Built warehouse on NE end - 60'x160' 15' high, open both ends drive thru
· 1968: Rose Hill Manor becomes county park property
· 19?? - 2007: Bottling was discontinued & plant became 'Sales Center' only.
· 2007 - present: 1705 North Market Street plant has been idle, with one-time temporary rental political campaign headquarters
for Alex Mooney.
A review of the historic archives of the Frederick News-Post reveals the strength of the local Coca-Cola marketing with multitudesof creative advertisements promoting the beverage and its local producer.
Construction began in August 1945 on the Coca-Cola bottling plant at 200-214 East Patrick Street. A large bottle was on the roof; areplica of the company's 1920 bottle design. The bottle was refurbished in 1998. After Coca-Cola moved out of the building, the bottle was moved to the roof of the Coca-Cola plant in Hagerstown, MD.
Designed by Washington, D.C. architect, Doran S. Platt, the Frederick Coca-Cola Bottling Plant possesses historic significance. Mr. Platt designed many Coca-Cola buildings with a similar architecture. His Coca-Cola buildings in Winchester, VA and in Charlottesville, VAhave both received historic designations, and both buildings are examples of adaptive reuse.
The plant is associated at the local level with the broad patterns of history in its vision of industrial design that could help promote a national brand to local consumers. Mr. Platt’s design powerfully united modern design with national brand marketing; here, the canonsof utilitarian industrial architecture broadened so as to encourage the consumption of the product being manufactured. Mr. Platt’s design incorporated huge windows that flooded the interior with natural light while inviting people to inspect the making of Coca-Cola and the sanitary conditions of its production. The plant embodies at the local level the distinctive characteristics of a type and period of construction and design; it is one of Frederick’s largest and most prominent examples of Art Deco style architecture. The main elevation of the Coca-Cola Bottling Plant includes the building’s most distinctive Art Deco style elements. The monumental entrance is the single most impressive element of this elevation, indeed of the entire building.